Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Michelangelo Cake

Of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fame.
Why, is there another Michelangelo?

My brother, Mike, loves him some TMNT. And Michelangelo in particular (probably because of the name). He loved the old cartoon, the movies, he even had the action figures. The original ones with the squishy, rubber heads. We used to watch the show/movies together all the time. The movies (the first and second-- though we own the third, it's the black sheep) are among the set of go-to films we watch when we can't decide on anything else. We once had a revelatory moment by connecting two of our go-to films. We, of course, watched The Goonies all the time (though I've recently found out that Mikey never much cared for this film. huh) which features the incomparable Corey Feldman. In the movie, one of his character's best friends is named Mikey (played by SEAN ASTIN) and in the movie, he says "Hey, Mikey..." probably a couple times. In TMNT, Donatello and Michelangelo are hanging out in the sewer, waiting on a pizza, when Donatello breaks into a brief moment of reflection. "Hey Mikey..." he begins. And so it was that Mike and I discovered that Corey Feldman provided the voice of Donatello in the first (and third) TMNT films.

Great story, I know.

Anyway, Mikey and his wife, Nicole, are very busy during wedding season. I don't know how they know so many people, but they are booked tight for most of the summer. Last weekend, he told my parents and I that if we didn't see him then, he wouldn't have any free time until September. 

Now, while working at Goodwill a couple months back, I came across a Michelangelo-shaped cake pan that I knew I had to buy for Mikey's birthday cake. It was fate. So, I'd been hanging onto this pan for months, waiting for Mikey's birthday, which comes in late August. If I wasn't going to potentially see him until September, I had to make some command decisions. Therefore, the night before I went to see my brother and sister-in-law, I declared that the meeting was going to turn into a surprise birthday party, complete with amazing cake. I made my mother run me over to the supermarket for the appropriate cake and decorating icing.

The pan was kind of a dud. With irregular-shaped pans, I tend to go grease-heavy because you never know how that's going to work. As a result, I think I may have obscured some of the defining lines on the cake. When I popped that sucker out, it was pretty much just a cake with odd edges. Lucky for me, I can draw from a source image well enough, so I looked at the underside of the pan to get an idea of where all the lines went.

Blah blah blah, I made a cake and it turned out really well. It photographed even better. We took it to Mike and Nicole's and he was very please/impressed. He immediately took pictures to send to his friends. 

So, where do I pick up my Best Sister Ever award?

--


No comments:

Post a Comment